November 13, 2011

tacos de papa : a recipe.

All credit for this recipe goes to my best friend, Sonia. Before we moved to SC and she moved to Hawaii - gatherings at her house were just natural. I brought dessert and she supplied the food. And she makes some really good mexican food. Seriously, I still crave her enchiladas.

Anyways, one day she called and asked if we wanted to come over for tacos de papa. I, of course, said yes - but I had no idea what they were. Basically tacos made of potatoes. Well, I love both so I figured it would be a hit.

It was a slam dunk! These things are so good. And simple. Honestly, 4 ingredients. Thats it.


Tacos De Papa

You'll need potatoes. I use regular baking/yellow potatoes. 2 med-large sized ones made about 14 tacos for us.
Parmesan cheese. I don't measure it but if I had to guess, I'd say about 1/4 cup. Maybe a little less.
An egg or 2.
Corn tortillas - the small size.

Wash, peel and dice your potatoes. Throw them in a pot and boil them until they are soft, about 30 mintes.
Drain and toss back into the pot or a bowl. Mash them and let them cool for a few minutes. You don't want the egg to cook in them just yet.
Once they are cooled some, add 1 egg and parmesan cheese. Stir well.

Don't be freaked by the egg!

Heat up your oil in a pan or a fry daddy, if you have one. Does anyone else call them fry daddy's or is that a weird thing in my family?
Spoon a small amount of potatoes in your tortillas and fold in half. Don't fill your tacos too much - they don't fry well and they won't taste good. You may want to heat the tortillas for a few seconds beforehand so they don't crack.
Place your taco in the oil and fry until crispy brown. I really can't tell you how long to fry them, a couple minutes, if that? M does the frying - I don't do good with hot grease.

Place your fried tacos in a strainer thats on top of a plate to help let the extra grease roll off.


When ready to serve, top with cheese, lettuce, sour cream + hot sauce! M likes cotija, which is a mexican crumbling cheese and crema de mexicana. Both are pretty pricey for things we just eat with one meal. So unless we are splurging, we stick with mozzarella & parmesan cheese and regular sour cream. Oh, and Tapatio is the best hot sauce for these. It's hot + spicy, but with a sweet hint. Its just really really good.

I made these last night and honestly, I hate like 5. I felt like a beached whale later but my belly was nice and full.

And, if you wanted to go with a taquito style taco - just roll them instead of folding in half.

If you try these - I'd love to know what you think of them!

1 comment:

Copyright © KRISTY EVERYDAY. Blog Design by SkyandStars.co