October 29, 2013

MADE-AT-HOME CARAMEL APPLES

We made caramel apples last year and they were disastrous.  But I'm really glad I didn't remember that until after we made these! I didn't follow a recipe instead I used this post for ideas and semi-followed the directions on the bag of caramels.

A few things:
Cold apples probably would work best but we skipped that step.
I added a splash of milk to the caramels while they were melting.
I always use vanilla almond bark in place of white chocolate.
Roll your apples in your bigger toppings first.
I didn't have any pop sticks on hand so I cut some kabob skewers in half. The apples were a little heavy for the skewers, but they did the job.
And use parchment paper to avoid the caramel sticking to the plate.

I washed the apples and dried them off with a clean dish towel then I laid out a large plate (lined with parchment paper) and got the rest of the ingredients ready. We put the toppings in small bowls so we could easily roll them apples in them. Melt your caramels (or make a homemade version!) and dip your apples (don't forget your skewers or sticks) in the pot. Put the apples on the plate and stick in the fridge while you melt your chocolate. I melted the chocolate in a medium-sized microwave safe bowl and once ready, I dipped the apples straight in that bowl and then rolled them in whatever toppings we preferred! Once all of the apples are dipped and topped, stick them back in the fridge for a hour (or a few) to harden up.

We used mini chocolate chips, crushed pretzels and chocolate sprinkles for toppings. But I think pistachios would be amazing! Also: chopped peanuts, crushed oreos, festive sprinkles or mini marshmallows for a rocky road twist would be fun too. If you're up to it, you could try a chocolate drizzle as well.

Things got pretty messy but seeing L's face covered in chocolate and pretzels entertained us enough to not mind the clean-up!

No comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © KRISTY EVERYDAY. Blog Design by SkyandStars.co