March 26, 2010

KITCHEN FIASCOS

Some days I can rock it. I can have the house clean, the baby taken care of, be showered + dressed in something other than yoga pants + a tee and still get an great meal on the table. Of course, that kind of day doesn't happen often. Then some days I shouldn't even be allowed in the kitchen. Last night was one of those nights.

Manny was being funny and asking me if I was going to blog about it while laughing at me so here you go. I'm blogging. Laugh again, babe!

I had full intention yesterday of taking advantage of my beloved crockpot so that I could do a little shopping with Lia and not worry about dinner when we got back home. I did take advantage of my crockpot. I just forget a step or two. I didn't even realize I had forgotten anything until Manny came home and I got up to check my yum-o cubed steak w/gravy. All I could do when I took off the lid and saw two sad, shriveled up, charcoaled pieces of meat was laugh! I had ruined dinner and it was funny. Sitting right beside the crockpot was the package of onion soup mix I was supposed to add with 1 cup of water. What happens when you cook meat in a crock pot with no liquids for 3-4 hours? A fiasco. I was really looking forward to those steaks too... My crockpot looked really sad and burnt. I threw that bad boy in the dishwasher. Being a procrastinator and someone with a bad memory (obviously) I haven't unloaded it yet. Here's hoping it got clean without my elbow grease.

Now, it just wouldn't be right if I only had one fiasco last night. Because of the shriveled meat thing, dinner was takeout from Texas Roadhouse. Manny was already going to get salad from there so we just added an order of cheese fries and called it dinner. Healthy, huh? We also watched The Biggest Loser while chowing down on those cheese fries drenched in ranch. At the exact time contestant Ashley was talking about how she missed ranch dressing. If that doesn't make you feel like a fat-o, I don't know what will do it. I've noticed a trend, I'm always stuffing my face when watching that show. Anyone else do that too? But back to my 2nd fiasco. Manny wanted boiled eggs for the salad and told me he was putting some on the stove while he went to get dinner. I took a mental note of that and was off the feed + change Lia. She ended up falling asleep in my arms right after her feeding so I was flipping through tv channels. Then it hit me. THE EGGS! I jumped up and headed to the kitchen (as well as any mama holding her sleeping baby can) and turned off the burner. They were hard boiled eggs, alright. Burnt hard boiled eggs. Inedible hard boiled eggs. That's when I quit. No more "me in the kitchen" tonight. I was only going to do more damage then good. Of course, when Manny got home he said he figured i'd burn the eggs and he thought about texting me to remind me. Next time, text me (:

Nights like this are going to happen. Alot. My super-ness varies day to day. I could have cryed about ruining dinner and kicked myself for not having everything done right, but why? It's just shriveled meat. To be honest, I probablly will cry over shriveled meat at some point in time, but i'll try to remember the point of this post. We, as mothers, can't always do everything right + perfect. We are going to make mistakes and have off days. But as long as we can laugh at ourselves, we'll be just fine.

1 comment:

  1. gosh, don't you just hate those days when everything that could possibly go wrong does? i dumped a homemade chicken pot pie over in the oven the other week. it took about an hour to clean up. plus we had no dinner. meh.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © KRISTY EVERYDAY. Blog Design by SkyandStars.co