July 16, 2020

PORK TAQUITOS & PICO DE GALLO


Recipes don't make their way here very often since I don't really love to cook and I'm not very adventurous in the kitchen. But every now and then I find my way around a hack or a favorite meal and I like to share it!

These pork taquitos are the perfect summer dish. The homemade pico keeps them light and fresh and the leftover pork that I use for the filling means they come together quickly!

Whenever I am making pork in the crockpot, I plan on having these taquitos the next night. I found this pulled pork recipe on Pinterest and made a few tweaks to it. It's in our recipe rotation now!

Pulled pork:

2 pork tenderloins - I buy the plain ones that come two in a pack.
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp pepper
1/2 cup beef broth
1/3 apple cider vinegar

  • Place the pork in your crockpot and rub the spices onto both sides. Add in the broth and vinegar and cook on low for 6+ hours. 
  • Shred when it's done! I serve half that night with bbq sauce on Hawaiian bread sliders and a quick slaw (toss together coleslaw mix, parsley, and lime juice!).


Pork taquitos:

Warm up the leftover pork.
Warm up corn tortillas (we store ours in the fridge and warming them helps stop them from crumbling/tearing).
Deep fry them until brown and crispy.
Top with lettuce, mozzarella + Monterey jack cheese, and pico de gallo.

It helps to secure the seam of the taquito with a toothpick so that they don't open up while frying.

Pico de gallo:

3 roma tomatoes
1/2 of a jalapeƱo (more if you like it spicy!)
1/4 cup-ish of cilantro
1/2 of a white onion
the juice from 1 lime
1 tsp-ish of salt

  • Chop all of your ingredients and toss in a bowl with the salt and lime juice. I don't measure so these are pretty close to what I'd use. 
  • Taste test and adjust as needed!

You could use shredded chicken as well, we just always have way too much pork leftover and I like shortcuts in the kitchen. Also, the pico is great for snacking or adding to tacos/tostadas, grilled meats, or scrambled eggs!

Enjoy!

PS. My kids are picky eaters. L has made huge steps in that area while Nico is still really picky but neither of them will eat these! L finds them "too crunchy" and Nico just won't try them. But, they will eat the pork! So, I just deconstruct them for the kids and serve them pork, cheese, tortilla chips, & fruit or sometimes I'll give them a cheese quesadilla on the side. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © KRISTY EVERYDAY. Blog Design by SkyandStars.co